Monday, March 8, 2010

Books on Resurrection

If in anticipation of Easter you are looking for a good book to read on the resurrection of Jesus (which I know you all are), then I have a recommendation for you. Actually, I have several.

First, I have an anti-recommendation. This is a popular new book on resurrection by a well known blogger, but I wouldn't advise you to put your money or time into reading it. Grab a collection of quotes from John Piper, Charles Spurgeon, and Martyn Lloyd-Jones on regeneration and resurrection, throw in some filler, and you have this book. I would recommend just reading Piper, Spurgeon, or Lloyd-Jones.

In my opinion, this is the best book out there on resurrection. I have a love/ hate relationship with N.T. Wright. Sometimes he blows my mind with his insight, and sometimes he seems terribly narrow in his perspective. For the most part, Wright falls into the former category in this book. If you want your view of resurrection hope expanded to the point of transforming your entire view of the world, then read this book.

This book is the manual on the historical evidence for the resurrection of Christ. It's thick, it's scholarly, and I wouldn't recommend it for everyone. But if you want a book that will cut down any and all objections to the historical veracity of the resurrection of Jesus, this is your book.



Finally, for those lacking the time (or desire) to read, here is a DVD by N.T. Wright on the resurrection. I haven't seen this video, but if it is anything like Wright's other work on the resurrection then I'm sure it's helpful.

No comments: