Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Romans 7:13-20

Did that which is good, then, bring death to me? By no means! It was sin, producing death in me through what is good, in order that sin might be shown to be sin, and through the commandment might become sinful beyond measure. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am of the flesh, sold under sin. 15 For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. (Romans 7:13-20)

Depravity Redefined. When theologians speak of total depravity, many get a false and muddled picture of human sinfulness. Total depravity seems to indicate a wholesale fall into perversion. Man is as wicked as he possibly could become. However, neither the Scriptures nor experience support such a view. The fact is that the portrait of human evil is quite a bit more complex than this, and Paul gives a very helpful analysis of our predicament.

I want but I don’t. Oddly enough the depths of our waywardness is revealed by the good and healthy desires of our heart. We, like Paul, often find ourselves wanting to refrain from certain activities. We don’t want to grow bitter and resentful or to be controlled by greed or lust. In this our hearts “agree” with God’s law, which as creatures created in the image of God is engraved upon our conscience (Romans 2:15). However, there is no grounds here to grow confident in our own goodness, for Paul points out that although we reveal God’s imprint through healthy desires, we immediately reject those healthy wants and do what we “hate.” Bondage is not control that goes unresisted. When we speak of slavery, we speak of those unfortunate peoples forced into labors and duties that they would not choose for themselves and are offered no proper reward. In the same way, the bondage of sin is not a slavery that goes uncontested within us. The descent into depravity is an embattled one. Thus, the shackles of our wickedness is powerfully demonstrated by the fervent though impotent resistance of our hearts. We don’t want to do it, and we do it again and again and again.

Is it sin or me? Paul ends here by stating that it is sin and not “I” who does the deed that I do not want. It may, then, seem like Paul is removing himself and us from the culpability of our actions. Given the entire context of Romans, and Paul’s other writings, this clearly is not the case. In the very next section, Paul proclaims, “Wretched man that I am!” and not “Wretched sin that dwells in me.” “Sin” is his master, and at the same time sin is a part of him. It rules him, and yet it dwells in him and is not external to him.

Total Depravity. Thus, total depravity does not mean we are as bad as we can possibly be. It means that we want to live a good and righteous life, but we can’t want it enough. We are tortured souls ever living with the hatred of our own words, thoughts, and deeds, but powerless to speak, think, or act differently. And so we are perpetually condemned to valley of guilt, regret, and shame with a longing to climb out but lacking the strength to do so. If only there was someone willing to descend into this dark, deathly ravine, who also had the strength to carry us out.

No comments: