Saturday, May 16, 2009

Romans 5:12-21: Part 2

As I stated in my last post, the thought of inheriting Adam’s sin and condemnation is a difficult pill to swallow. As such, when most modern individuals read this passage that is what they focus upon. But do notice that that is not what the apostle Paul focuses on. The only reason why Paul brings up inherited sin is to show that Christ trumps it.

He writes, “For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many.”(Romans 5:16)

Again, “If, because of one man’s trespass, death reigned through that one, much more will those who receive the abundance of grace and the free gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man Jesus Christ.” (Romans 5:17)

And, “For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man’s obedience the many will be made righteous.” (Romans 5:19)

And, “Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more.” (Romans 5:20)
So here is what I'm thinking. I realize that it is entirely natural to resist the idea that I receive the consequences, and in this case eternally severe consequences, for another persons actions. But perhaps we should be careful what we wish for. Track with me. If it is unjust for one to receive the consequences of another’s actions, then that means I will only ever receive the consequences of my own actions. That to me is a problem. It’s a problem, for one, because I’m not all that great of a person. I’ve done plenty to screw up my marriage, my family, and my entire life. If any of that is going to be fixed it, I have go fix it. I have to identify the problems, many of which I don’t see, and find the solution. Furthermore, this position leaves me with no hope over insurmountable problems. I simply cannot overcome my son’s autism. I want to, and I do all that I can to help him, but there is only so much I can do. I couldn’t overcome my grandpa’s bad heart that killed him. I can’t overcome the disease and death that will take me, my wife, and my children. Wars, genocide, world hunger, sex trafficking, slavery, child abuse, etc. are all beyond me to solve. The only avenue for hope is if I can receive the good earned by another. So here is my point. If we say that inheriting Adam’s sin is unjust, then logically we have to say that inheriting Christ’s righteousness is unjust as well. If we can’t be damned in Adam, then we can’t be saved in Jesus. And that doesn’t seem like the best option to me.

No comments: